Monday 20 August 2012

A restaurant doesn't want us!

I've been feeling so positive about dealing with allergies lately.  We have even eaten out for goodness sake ... that's what normal people do.  

But ... we are off to a wedding at the end of September, the meal part of which will be held at an Italian restaurant.  We have just heard that the venue can't accommodate our allergies - they feel unable to guarantee that contamination of The Allergic One's food will not occur.  Fair enough I suppose ... and certainly preferable that they state this in advance than we run into trouble and have to dash to A&E on the day of the wedding.  It still feels like a kick in the teeth mind; they don't want our business damn them!  

The venue have said that they don't mind if we bring his food with us (ah, too kind! as if I'd let him sit there without food while the rest of us were chowing down) so at least he can sit and eat with the other children there, albeit partaking of a different menu.  I can't help feeling sad though when I think of how he might feel when he realises that the contents of his plate are different to their plates.   I'll have to find out what the other kids will be eating and try to replicate.  

The rational me knows that allergies are not the worst ailment from which a child can suffer.  But in this instance I am allowing myself to feel sad about it ... just for a little bit.  I'll be right again tomorrow. 

I like this article ... I admire Giorgio and Plaxy Locatelli ... it's good to read how other parents of allergic children cope and interesting to hear how a chef and restaurateur's perspective has been altered by his daughter's predicament ... the revelation in paragraph 11 of how Giorgio thinks that restaurants can treat those with allergies makes me think it's a good idea to be taking our own food ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.