Monday 18 June 2012

My top 10 dairy free and egg free convenience food products


I thought it might be useful to blog about the products which have really helped me to be able to cook and serve 'more normal' food for my child with allergies.  

1. Top of the list for my family is Alpro Soya Junior 1+ … it’s a far from perfect ‘milk’ substitute containing as it does ‘fructose-glucose syrup’ but I can’t afford to be picky when it comes to getting enough calcium into my two (the move to this drink from Neocate Active was suggested by an NHS dietician when the Allergic-y One was almost 2 and a half).  My boys usually drink two cups each for their brekkie every morning no problem.  I often use it in when baking cakes and scones too.

2. Pure marg – vegan margarine, there is a sunflower, a soya and an olive oil version.  I stay away from the soya version as my boys have a lot of soya in their diet from other sources (er, mainly Alpro, I think we keep them in business!).  I use the sunflower version for sandwiches and baking.  You could also use Vitalite … which is cheaper than Pure.

3. Alpro yoghurts and desserts – again, these contain lots of sugar so are far from ideal but it’s another easy way of getting calcium into young ‘uns.  The chocolate one is out of this world.  Useless factoid: Alpro custard is the same product as ‘Alpro vanilla desserts’, except cheaper. 

4. Vegan mayo – er, this is not ‘mayo’ as we know it but still a nice addition to a salad or sandwiches.  

5. Sainsbury’s dairy free chocolate drops – so good to be able to give the boys a treat.

6. Tofutti Creamy Smooth Slices, Cheddar Style – absolutely yuck when eaten raw (in my opinion) but when served as a ham and cheese toasty or on pizza … well, almost passable.  The best imitation cheese I’ve found (out of a very bad bunch) so far.

7. Fish fingers – yay, most fish fingers are dairy free and egg free.  Serve with sweet potato wedges, peas and ketchup for a much loved junky supper.

8. Swedish Glace Dairy Free ice cream – another invaluable product. 
Combined with …

9. Carousel or Barkat ice cream cones  and strewn with sugar strand sprinkles; it almost feels as if the dreaded allergies are not causing them to miss out. 

10. Fox's Party Ring Biscuits – the taste of a kids party buffet, containing nutritional nasties (partially inverted refiners syrup anyone?) although ‘no artificial colours, flavours & preservatives’. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.