Thursday 1 November 2012

Flying with Emirates with dairy and egg allergies

I asked the Senior Stewardess who greeted us at the 'plane door if I could speak to someone, at a suitable time, as to how I would go about reheating the Allergic One's Marks and Spencer ready meal whilst on board.  She was very smiley and helpful and said she'd come to see me before we took off.  She duly arrived at my seat (in Economy, of course) and explained that she was the Senior in charge of Business so would ask a colleague to come and talk to me but that it would be no problem to use the microwave available to the Business cabin.  After a few minutes another Stewardess arrived at my seat in a real panic and began stroking The Allergic One's leg ... she asked me with real concern if I was okay and I politely answered 'yes'.  She then asked if the boy next to me was my child, perhaps noting my casual tone, to which I answered 'yes'.  She then said 'he's having a serious allergic reaction!' ... to which I answered 'er, no', and explained how she had her wires crossed.  Panic over, she retreated and was prompted to her seat by the Purser who informed us we were in a rush as the 'plane had imminent clearance for take off!  I didn't see her again!  The Allergic One did not have his spag bol ready meal on this leg of the journey! 

I had ordered the Allergic One a vegan meal in the hope that he would eat some of the bread, margarine, fruit and salad that I thought would be a part of the tray.  Sure enough there were these things present but as I had supplemented the food below with a soy milk, a soy yoghurt and some chocolate buttons (as his non-Allergic Brother had chocolate included in his Emirates 'kids' meal') he was uninterested in what Emirates had to offer, I think he managed a bite of bread roll and a chunk of melon.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.